Sunday, November 22, 2009

every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Last night we stayed over at the hotel but only ate breakfast and left for the airport in the morning. But before we packed up and got ready to leave we ended our trip with Saturday's official ending of NCYC 2009. It was a pretty great day though my mind put a sort of closing edge to the day whereas Friday was more spiritual and moving. Fortunately it was a great end to the trip filled with fun and enabled us to wrap up what we'd learned and prepare for what awaited us at home.

We started off the day on a good note with a nice and hot breakfast (which we didn't think we would have because the bus was leaving earlier than the time the hotel said hot breakfast would be out). Then we headed off to the overwhelming Sprint Center for our morning program.

The Program started when Righteous B and others invited people to come nearer to the stage and they sang and rapped their own versions of a few popular songs. I liked this start to the day because the loudness of everything certainly woke me up and it started the day with something fun and exciting. After Righteous B was done with his songs, a few teens gave witness talks to everyone which I thought was pretty awesome.. although some of the people that went on my 9th grade retreat and gave witness talks that were better, one of the one's given in the Sprint Center was pretty amazing. It was given by a junior who had gone through chemotherapy as a 7 year old for a brain tumor but miraculously survived. His talk has taught me to keep going and always to have faith in God. To live through God and let him take the reigns of my life. It really inspired me to build my faith and made me think "If a 7 year old kid could trust in God and overcome such a large obstacle through God's miracle then I really should give myself up to the Holy Spirit and let God write my life instead of me desperately hanging on to my own stolen pen."

After morning program I went to 2 workshops: the first one where we asked a bishop questions (which was pretty cool to see what he had to say about our faith and what someone of such faith thinks of some of the big issues pressing on us today.) and the second: what to do with faith when high school is over (which wasn't as helpful as I expected but still encouraged me to think of what kind of life i want to have in the future).

We also all went to a comedy show which consisted of: juggling, a priest doing magic tricks, stories of a family making a cake for the family of a person they thought was dead but really was alive, a hilarious stand up comedian, and a performance from Popple accompanied by Rangeley, Joe, and Connor as back up dancers :). It was so much fun to just let loose and have a good time with everyone there.

Then we went out to an amazing dinner with St. John's from Hopkinton (which the 3 girls i roomed with are from). It was a great ending dinner and sent me home with many fun and lasting memories.

The last thing we did was go to mass. It was amazing.. Although my mind kind of wandered a little during some parts, the total effect of that many people, that many kids and that many priests, coming together and all sharing the body of Christ was sooo empowering. And hearing all 20,000 individual voices become one when singing and responding was incredible. It was an astonishing experience that I wouldn't have missed for the world.

So tonight i sit here a changed person. Different than when i left for Kansas City. I've learned so much in the past couple of days that it was impossible not to come home as the same person. I've now seen the unity of the church and I've seen how big we all really are. Before I never really considered how huge the Catholic world is. I was even ashamed when I had a church thing that would rule over a social event because people would talk down the church and i would feel outnumbered compared to those who don't believe and aren't as strong in their faith. But now having learned that I'm not alone in my struggles to keep my faith going and that there are 20,000 kids who were willing to give up their weekend just like me to get the opportunity to grow with God. I now write this blog in a new chapter of my life in which I stand up for my faith and do anything to strengthen it and keep the fire burning. I also have realized the power of the Catholic people. I've seen what can happen when people get together and work together. and have seen that together we can move mountains and make a difference in the world.

So with the end of my old chapters of life, i head into the new ones with my head held high, ready to embrace the struggles and obstacles that will get in my way and ready to stick together to change the world. I hope I can inspire all of you here to learn and realize all that I've learned and to help you all see what I've seen and that we can make a difference even if it is only a small one.

I'd like to thank everyone who made this trip possible. Everyone at NCYC for the amazing experiences and new knowledge, Kate, the group from Hopkinton, Connor, Joe, Rangeley, Kevin, and especially Dan O. for providing me with one of the most amazing experiences i could have asked for. thank you soooooooooo much. I can't even express how much this has meant to me.

Thanks for reading :) (sorry it was so long)
God Bless! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment