Friday, November 20, 2009

First Day!

Currently feeling like a truck driver, by that I mean sitting at a Denny’s at 12:11 in the morning feeling exhausted and a little annoyed waiting for my wings, the one thing that really helps to cheer me up is thinking about today.

Woke up ready to go, ate a good breakfast, finally got a razor to shave with, and we went to the convention center. Our ride over was exciting, seeing the parts of the city (which, disappointingly, included seeing no fountains until about 4 o’clock in a city which has the second most fountains in any city in the world behind Rome) and it slowly started to hit me what we were doing as we went into the ENOURMOUS convention center. In trying to keep this short and sweet I’m going to just say that we walked around the “Reign Forest” and talked to a lot of cool people and saw cool booths, plus lots of free stuff! We saw Popple at an unbelievably cool outdoor stage/restaurant area. Then went to a sweet mass with a deaf priest, a new experience that I was very happy to experience.

Opening ceremonies, although we were in the “overflow” room was out of this world. (the overflow room, btw still had roughly 3000 people). I found myself getting lost in it all, and I know I felt God pour his love over all of us this night. Since it’s so late, I’m trying to shorten up my post so others can post quicker but I hope that doesn’t take away from you readers understanding the significance of what’s happening here. There are 23,000 kids, my age, all with a love of God. One of my favorite quotes is “never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it’s the only thing that ever has”. What we have here isn’t too small, maybe on the large spectrum of things it is, but there’s a lot of us thoughtful committed youth here, all with the same passion and love. God has great things planned for us, I could feel that today…

Stay tuned….

Thanks for reading! Love you all and God Bless

Connor Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment